Shooting orders to quell protests and violence in Sri Lanka

Mahinda Rajapaksa is not getting rid of the anger of the people even after leaving the post of the Prime Minister of Sri Lanka. Thousands of protesters stormed his official residence. At one point, he fled and left the PM’s house with his family members in a military helicopter. Later he took up residence in a naval base. Protests are also going on outside the naval base.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Protesting people took to the streets with rods and sticks to break the curfew on Tuesday. They are demanding the resignation of Mahinda’s younger brother President Gotabaya Rajapaksa. Opposition groups called for his resignation.

on on Monday, escalated into a nightmare. In addition to the prime minister’s residence, their ancestral home in Hambantota was attacked. The family museum was set on fire. In addition, more than 50 houses of the leaders of the ruling party were set on fire. Among these leaders are many ministers-MPs. As of Tuesday, at least eight people had been killed and more than 200 injured in the violence. The United Nations has condemned the violence and the killings.

The crisis in Sri Lanka has also led to a crisis in essential commodities such as food and medicine. Outraged people are blaming the government for this. The movement has been going on for more than a month demanding the fall of the government. The peaceful protest turned violent on Monday after supporters of Prime Minister Mahinda Rajapaksa attacked them. Then thousands of people came out to different parts of the country, including the capital Colombo. They attacked the homes of ruling party leaders, members of parliament and former and current ministers.

In a video circulated on social media, protesters set fire to buses carrying supporters of the prime minister to Colombo from across the country. A Member of Parliament from Mahinda’s party was hit by a car and thrown into a pond. In another video, Mahinda Rajapaksa’s leader was beaten and taken away in a garbage truck. In addition, his used car was bulldozed.

In this situation, special powers were given to the security forces on Tuesday. If anyone is seen to be wasting government resources or doing something deadly, the security forces will be able to shoot him to stop him. In addition, members of the military will be able to detain a protester for 24 hours before handing him over to police. At the same time, members of the military will be able to search any private installations and vehicles. Meanwhile, the police have got the power to arrest without any warrant.

Guard at the entrance of the airport
Protesters block the entrance to the capital, Colombo, to prevent Sri Lankan lawmakers from leaving the country. According to local media reports, a group of young Katunayake took up position on the road to the free trade area. They have blocked the road with vehicles. The main airport in Sri Lanka is Bandaranaike International Airport.

Protesters say they have blocked the entrance to the international airport to prevent lawmakers from fleeing the country after Mahinda Rajapaksa stepped down as prime minister.

Gotabaya demands resignation
The protesters do not want to see anyone else in the government in favor of the king. Protests also erupted on Tuesday demanding the resignation of Mahinda’s younger brother Gotabaya Rajapaksa from the presidency. A group of protesters again took to the streets in front of the president’s office in Colombo.

Meanwhile, the main opposition party Samajwadi Jana Balabegaya (SJB) has decided to take the responsibility of the government to resolve the ongoing crisis. However, they also demanded the resignation of Gotabaya Rajapaksa. SJB lawmaker Harsana Razakaruna said the SJB had decided to take power if the president relinquished power to Rajapaksa. Most of the members of their party have proposed this.

The way Mahinda escaped
Thousands of protesters stormed the Temple Tree, the prime minister’s residence in Colombo, on Monday out of anger at Mahinda Rajapaksa. There they started vandalism. At one point he tried to attack the two-storey residence. Police said the protesters threw at least five petrol bombs there.

Earlier, police fired tear gas shells in front of Mahinda’s house to disperse the protesters. But it did not work. Protesters set fire to a truck used by the military. Senior Deputy Inspector General of Police Deshbandhu Tenakun was also attacked by protesters near Temple Tree. Protesters also set fire to his car.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button