Life Style

Bucks Fizz star Jay Aston’s daughter seriously ill in hospital battling

Bucks Fizz star Jay Aston has revealed her teenage daughter Josie is seriously ill in hospital after being diagnosed with bacterial meningitis.

The 18-year-old was rushed to intensive care and put in an induced coma after her organs began to fail.

Nearly a month later she is still in a specialist kidney unit and has been told she will be permanently scarred.

Singer Jay said: “It’s been absolutely devastating. We were told it was 50/50 whether she would pull through. We still don’t know when she’ll be coming home.

“I sat by her bedside night after night willing her to make it. I couldn’t believe this was her fate, because she’s such a lovely person. She’s outgoing, kind, good-willed and full of life. It just felt so cruel.

“I’ve been doing a lot of praying. She’s my world – we’re ridiculously close. I just couldn’t imagine being without her.”

Josie was rushed to hospital last month after Jay, 60, spotted a rash on her daughter’s arm which she immediately recognised as meningitis.

Doctors later said that if it was not for her quick-thinking, her daughter would not have survived.

The ordeal began on March 22 when Josie phoned her mum and said she felt unwell.

Jay drove to the family home in Kent to find her daughter shaking.

She recalled: “She’d been lying out in the sun so I thought it was maybe heatstroke. A couple of days before that she’d complained that her joints were aching, which I’d put down to growing pains.”

But when Josie developed a headache, neck pain and a temperature which didn’t come down with paracetamol, Jay called 111 and an ambulance was ordered.

She said: “That was 6.45 pm, but the ambulance didn’t come. Her temperature reached almost 40. I started to get really worried. In the middle of the night, she said: ‘Mum, I’m not right.’ I saw red dots on her arm.”

Jay instantly realised it could be meningitis as her guitarist husband-of 22 years, Dave Colquhoun, Josie’s father, contracted it 19 years earlier.

They quickly drove her daughter to the nearby Princess Royal University Hospital in Farnborough, Kent.

Within an hour Josie’s entire body was covered in the rash and the following day, when her lungs began to fail, she was taken to intensive care where she was put into an induced coma, given oxygen and treated with antibiotics.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button