Many people in the society have restricted the practice of Qur’an to the month of Ramadan. They recite the Qur’an once or twice in the month of Ramadan. But don’t touch the Qur’an all year round. This is the name of abandoning the Qur’an.
And the consequences of reluctance to study the Qur’an and staying away from the Qur’an are terrible. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, ‘I am leaving you two things. One of them is the Book of Allah. There is guidance and light in it, whoever clings to it will be established on guidance. And whoever leaves it will lose the way. (Sahih Muslim, Hadith: 6119)
Meaning of abandoning the Qur’an: The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) complained about those who abandoned the Qur’aan and said, ‘O my Lord, my people consider this Qur’aan to be abandoned. (Surah: Forkan, verse: 30)
Explaining the above verse, Allama Ibn Kathir (Rah.) Writes, ‘The Quraish of Makkah used to make noise and shout while reciting the Qur’an and did not listen to it — this is abandonment of the Qur’an. Leaving the practice of the Qur’an and not memorizing it is also abandonment of the Qur’an. Abandoning faith in the Qur’an, not verifying it, not thinking about the Qur’an, not following the commands and prohibitions of the Qur’an and also abandoning the Qur’an. Leaning on poetry, prose, songs, humor, gossip, etc. instead of the Qur’an is also abandonment of the Qur’an. (Tafsir Ibn Kathir)
Warning to those who abandon the Qur’an: A number of verses in the Qur’an warn against those who abandon the Qur’an. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): But most people have turned away. So they will not listen. (Surah: Ha-Mim Sajda, Ayat: 3-4)
Elsewhere Irshad said, ‘I have given you advice from me. Whoever deviates from it (the Qur’an) will bear the burden on the Day of Resurrection. They will abide therein, and evil will be their burden on the Day of Resurrection. (Surah: Taha, Ayat: 99-101)
Various aspects of abandoning the Qur’an: Allama Ibn al-Qayyim Zhaoji (Rah.) Said, there are various aspects of abandoning the Qur’an. That is:
1. Listening to the Qur’an and abandoning faith in it.
2. Knowing the rules of the Qur’an regarding halal and haram and avoiding following them. Although the person recites the Qur’an and believes in it.
3. Not accepting the Qur’an as a source of law and considering the provisions of the Qur’an as meaningless.
4. Abandoning thoughts and research on the Qur’an.
5. Abandoning Qur’anic medicine to cure the disease of the soul.
All the aspects mentioned are included in the following verses. Although some of them are more serious. Irshad said, ‘O my Lord, my people consider this Qur’an to be abandoned. (Surah Forkan, verse: 30; Ad-Daul Munir Alat-Tafsir: 4/396)
What the believer should do: To avoid the sin of abandoning the Qur’an, the believer should do the following:
1. Recitation: Allah the Almighty has instructed the recitation of the Qur’an, ‘Recite from the Book that which is revealed to you. (Surah: Ankabut, verse: 45)
The Prophet (peace be upon him) said, ‘You recite the Qur’an. Because on the Day of Resurrection, the Qur’an will recommend for its holder. (Sahih Muslim, Ayat: 604)
2. Listening to the Qur’an: Regarding listening to the Qur’an, the Qur’an instructs, ‘When the Qur’an is recited, listen to it and be silent. So that you may be blessed. (Surah: A’raf, verse: 204)
3. Thinking and researching: It has been said in the Holy Qur’an, ‘It is a good book, I have revealed it to you, so that people may understand its verses and people of understanding may take advice. (Surah: Saad, Ayat: 29)
4. Practicing: The Qur’an is a complete way of life for mankind. So the believer will not just read it; But will also act on it. In the Holy Qur’an, Irshad has said, ‘I have sent down this Book, which is good. So follow him and be careful, then mercy will be shown to you. (Surah An-Nam, Ayat: 155)
5. Medical treatment of the Qur’an: In the Holy Qur’an, Allah has cured the spiritual and physical ailments of the people. So we have to take the treatment of the Qur’an. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “I have sent down the Qur’aan, which is a healing and a mercy for the believers. But it only increases the loss of the unjust. (Surah: Bani Isra’il, Ayat: 72)
Elsewhere, Irshad said, ‘Tell me! That is the guidance and healing for the believers. (Surah: Fussilat, verse: 44)
. Judging: The Qur’an will be the main source of Islamic State law. The judiciary of the Muslim society will be governed in the light of the Qur’an. In the Holy Qur’an, it has been said, “I have sent down to you the Book with the truth, so that you may judge between people according to what Allah has revealed to you, and do not argue in favor of the disbelievers.” (Surah: Nisa, verse: 105)
May Allah grant everyone the tawfiq to be associated with the Qur’an. Amen